Following up on Why do search engines and search products get acquired? and Search Engines that were Acquired, 2016-2018, here is an ongoing list of 2019 search acquisitions. Please let me know what I’m missing.
- Apple buys Laserlike – an “interest search engine” that found news and videos related to users’ personal interests.
- Scaleworks buys SearchSpring – search, navigation and merchandising technology to direct-to-consumer companies and sites.
- HomeToGo buys Tripping.com – vacation rental meta-search site.
- Facebook buys GrokStyle – AI and visual search technology to help consumers find, explore, and decide on purchases.
- Google buys Superpod – lets users ask questions and receive answers from experts.
- Yandex buys TheQuestion – a question-and-answer social network.
- Appen buys Figure Eight (formerly CrowdFlower) – crowd-sourcing, human judgments, data labelling.