A list of search engines other than Google, Bing and Yahoo.
A work in progress. Please contact searchnews with suggestions for more engines to add.
- The Search Engine Map – sort by metasearch vs engines that have their own crawlers and indexes.
- Baidu – Chinese search engine.
- CC Search – Creative Commons search engine for finding material that is not copyright protected.
- ContextualWeb – says its technology mimics the way the human brain indexes memories.
- DuckDuckGo – privacy search engine that lets users search anonymously. Leverages Bing’s engine.
- Ecosia – built on Bing, Ecosia plants trees by donating at least 80% of its surplus income to non-profit organizations that focus on reforestation and conservationism.
- Gigablast – started in 2002 and still alive.
- Kiddle – search engine for kids.
- Mojeek – privacy search engine built from the ground up.
- Naver – Started in 1999 as the first web portal in Korea to develop and use its own search engine.
- Qwant – privacy search engine from France.
- Startpage – privacy search engine.
- WolframAlpha – computational, knowledge engine that provides answers to factual questions.
- Yahoo – powered by Bing with Yahoo’s own features layered over.
- Yandex – Russian search engine.