The Search Design team invents and simplifies the shopping experience daily. We obsess over customer behavior and data to help us deliver customer innovation on a massive scale. We are building the cornerstone product search experience of modern ecommerce with the goal of changing the way people shop. Our work impacts millions of people daily and is a critical part of Amazon’s global business.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for a passionate Head of Research who leads by doing, loves solving problems at massive scale and brings their best self to work everyday. In this role, you will be responsible for driving and implementing a research strategy for Amazon Search in partnership with the Head of Design. You’ll work closely with design, PM and engineering stakeholders to determine customer needs through qualitative and quantitative analysis. This is an excellent opportunity to shape the future of search for all Amazon customers.
What You Bring
You have an “anything is possible” mindset. You’re proud of your work, your skills and expertise – but you’re not cynical, inflexible or only about your portfolio and you want to be part of something great. You love being part of a highly collaborative and high-energy team that isn’t afraid to swing for the fences and exceed expectations even on the most tactical projects.
You geek out over user research, psychology, ethnography and have a deep understanding of UX research methods and best practices, but you also have a nimble, creative and pragmatic approach, and you’re interested in pushing the boundaries of agile research. You are a passionate, curious researcher with uncanny observational and analytical skills, an impressive ability to collaborate with other teams and designers, and a relentless determination to do what is right for Amazon’s customers. You can work with minimal direction while delivering high-quality outputs. You will work on overlapping projects, so you are good at multi-tasking, juggling competing priorities, and organizing yourself to ensure you deliver on your commitments.
What you will do
In this role your core responsibilities will be building an exceptional, mixed skills team and setting the direction for research activities across the search global, retail experience. You will set strategy with minimal direction and ensure your team delivers bar raising, thoughtful research artifacts. You eagerly drive the process of turning insight into action recognizing that observations are only as valuable as their influence on the products they serve. You excel in highly ambiguous and ownership driven cultures and will ensure we have the right data to create the best, most customer obsessed, product search on earth.
· 10+ years of proven success leading user research projects with demonstrated impact
· A BS or equivalent degree in psychology, cognitive science, Human Factors, HCI, HCD etc.
· End-to-end experience with all aspects of research
· A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables
· Experience conducting research on mobile platforms
· Hands-on experience with: lab-based user testing, remote testing, iterative prototype testing, concept testing, ethnographic research, longitudinal research (e.g. diary studies), benchmarking, survey design and usage of multiple methods within a study
· Exceptional behavioral data-collection and analysis skills, (e.g., designing, conducting, and analyzing all kinds of user data.)
· The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in a fast paced environment
· Ability to meet ambitious deadlines and deliver high-quality work on schedule, including quickly turning around study plans and reports
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
· Eagerness to continually learn, grow and improve the craft of research.
· Demonstrated passion for solving problems
· Strong grasp of quantitative data analysis
· MS in Human Factors, HCDE, or Cognitive Psychology
· Retail/E-commerce research experience in a global context
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.