- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of professional experience in software engineering, with experience in technical and organizational leadership.
- Experience managing engineering teams in a tech company.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Domain experience in consumer/user-facing tech products and with Search.
- Full stack engineering experience
- Experience motivating others to act by creating a shared sense of vision or purpose, creating a compelling vision for the future, communicating clearly, and using a collaborative leadership approach.
- Demonstrated ability to think in a strategic manner to develop innovative offerings and to operate effectively with a global mindset and across regional boundaries.
- Ability to work effectively in and navigate ambiguity.
About the job
As the Desktop Search Engineering Director, you will oversee the engineering teams who are focused on the Google Search product on desktop browsers. Among the responsibilities of these teams are the following: the framework of the desktop Search pages, which leverages the wide screens available on desktop devices; Search products that cater to user needs that are more prevalent on Desktop, such as booking a trip, researching a product, or studying a new area; technologies that allow seamless expansion of mobile Search products to Desktop.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Data Science, Program Managers, and UX teams to set the engineering vision and direction for Google Search on Desktop. Build consensus across multiple teams and organizations, and drive execution of complex projects with multiple milestones and stakeholders.
- Partner with key stakeholders across Product Areas to ensure a cohesive strategy and vision.
- Unlock roadblocks at corporate level and cultivate collaboration with senior engineering and product leaders across Google through leadership, creativity, intelligence and presence.
- Manage a distributed team of 80+ software engineers globally. Mentor, develop and grow a diverse group of future leaders, and promote diversity, equity and inclusion in their organization.
To apply for this job please visit careers.google.com.