Engineering Manager – Search
Learning Service Engineering | Santa Clara, CA, United States
Your goal – to improve the education process and better the lives of students — through providing high-quality common workflows for 2 million students
Organization: Learning Service Engineering
Chegg Learning Services Engineering provides products and solutions that serve over 2 million students annually.
Role: Engineering Manager
Chegg is the leading student-first connected learning platform, and we are looking for an Engineering Manager who will help us deliver on our promise to put students first. You will be responsible for building Chegg Search into the ultimate destination of all things educational – whether it be textbooks, study/learning materials (questions and answers, textbook solutions), or flashcards. As a manager, you will be leading a team of talented fellow engineers and data scientists on building a fast, scalable, reusable and reliable search platform serving the real-time search demands of Chegg ecosystem.
The ideal candidate is an experienced engineering leader with excellent people skills and extensive knowledge about software development. You are a mentor and helper who is keen on bringing everyone along. You are passionate about getting things done while committed to developing people. You are an advocate of best practices who has the necessary technical and management skills of either direction to implement them.
- Manage a team of talented engineers and coach them to their full potential.
- Promote software development best practices, agile development, and cross-team collaboration.
- Work with product and business partners on business roadmaps.
- Work with architects and engineers on technical roadmaps.
- Execute against business and technology roadmaps by collaborating with other engineering teams.
- Drive and participate in cross-team initiatives.
- Be accountable for the outcomes, measured by appropriate metrics.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 5+ years of people management experience.
- 10+ years of recent software development experience overall.
- Extensive experience of running teams in an agile environment.
- Deep understanding of the full software development life cycle.
- Proven track record on cross-team collaboration.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and writing,
- Strong experience with cloud technologies such as AWS or Google Cloud.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Studentshows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.