Who We Are:
The mission of the Search Infrastructure team is to provide best in class information retrieval (search) primitives for quickly and efficiently building new relevance-based products.
Towards this we build, scale and maintain the tweet search indexes. These indexes currently power a number of Twitter’s core products like the Home Timeline, Search Result Pages, Ranked Conversations, Data Products and many more.
We are currently in the process of building OmniSearch, a generic search-as-a-service system that will accelerate product development by enabling product engineers to quickly and easily build new search indexes for different types of entities that are not just Tweets.
Our infrastructure sits at the intersection of high scale distributed systems and machine learning infrastructure – as our infrastructure handles both indexing & serving search results as well as ingesting features and running machine-learning models that help rank the search results.
We are a tight-knit and supportive group that loves doing great work together, and we are looking for exceptional additions to our flock!
What You’ll Do:
You will lead the Search Infrastructure team, driving its technical strategy and roadmap – crafting success metrics in close collaboration with your peers across the company.
Day-to-day you will work on high-impact and challenging products, services, APIs, and libraries that are critical to Twitter’s product strategy.
You will bring a strong perspective that inspires change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems. Together with your team, you will collaborate with many engineering teams to develop best-in-class solutions that power various products through our infrastructure offering.
You will maintain a portfolio of work balancing long and short term objectives, defend the team’s roadmap, and build strong relationships throughout the consumer product organization.
Since the team is distributed you will meet regularly with Search Infrastructure engineers both in San Francisco and Boulder, as well as coach and mentor your team and support their professional growth and development.
Who You Are:
- have excellent communication skills, can clearly articulate desired outcomes and you don’t mind spending time on video chat as the team is geographically distributed (San Francisco, Boulder).
- enjoy building camaraderie between engineers and service customers. Twitter’s “one team” culture really resonates with your work style.
- are a great source of engineering talent and have proven ability to hire and retain
- are open and honest and feel as though trust is the best way to build relationships.
- understand technical design documents and can articulate a system architecture in meetings with stakeholders and technical leads across multiple disciplines.
- are skilled at expectation management and are a great advocate for your team.
- are a strong advocate of software engineering best practices and bring a disciplined approach to testing, continuous delivery, and reducing technical debt
- Previously managed a team of 5 or more engineers
- Minimum of 2+ years in software engineering management
- BA/BS or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent work experience)
- Have worked as a software developer
- Great sense of humor and ability to build team spirit.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse culture at Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job please visit careers.twitter.com.