At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
Engineering Manager, Search Intelligence
Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile, and AI technologies enable.
As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform the real estate industry. In 2019 we tripled the size of our Product & Engineering team, and are searching for creative and inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization to join us as we continue to expand in 2021.
About the Role
As a Senior Engineering Manager for Search Intelligence, you will lead an engineering team that builds and trains models and platforms that improve and personalize search results. You will be building products that have not been built before that solves real-world problems to augment the real estate industry and its complex transactions. You will work closely with our product team to bring our technology vision to life for both agents and consumers.
You will use your strong technical skills to mentor team members and drive engineering excellence. You will take pride in the agility and workmanship of your team. You will build, cultivate and influence a strong sense of customer empathy and customer backward thinking around your sphere of influence. You believe in continuously improving operational processes and procedures.
At Compass You Will:
- Drive search result ranking strategy across the search platform.
- Be a subject matter expert in search and machine learning methodologies.
- Hire, lead and retain a team of engineers to deliver high-quality features.
- Lead the engineering effort to develop and launch new products while maintaining and improving existing products.
- Sustain the #qualityfirst mindset and keep a stringent eye on performance and and other metrics for the products you own.
- Manage your team’s business goals, contribute to product strategy, and develop your team.
- Create clear career paths for your individual team members and help them grow with coaching and mentoring. Perform regular performance evaluations.
What We Look For:
- BS in Computer Science, MS preferred
- 7+ years of software engineering experience using Java and Python
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience with learning and information retrieval in search applications.
- Experience with Recommendation Systems
- Hands on experience with TensorFlow, PyTorch and Spark
- Knowledge of Spark, Kafka and Elasticsearch
- Experience with building and maintaining production systems using a public cloud platform, preferably AWS.
- Understanding of Lucene is a strong plus.
To apply for this job please visit www.compass.com.