Ranker is looking for a smart and pop culture passionate taxonomist for our Manager, Metadata & Taxonomy role that will be responsible for maintaining and evolving Ranker taxonomies and metadata structures for all content categories represented in multiple consumer and business-facing products and services including Ranker.com, Watchworthy and Ranker Insights. The specific content categories that you will tackle include Ranker’s Lists and Rankings on pop culture and Media and Entertainment topics including TV, Film, Celebrities, Music, Video Games, Books, Consumer Products and Brands.
You will also own the auditing of internal processes, tools and systems to identify the best ways to organize content, measure content coverage and ensure optimum levels in all key categories. You will also partner with Publishing Operations, Engineering, and Product to introduce user-focused, scalable solutions for applying metadata to creative assets and our lists. You will coordinate and lead the implementation of any changes made to our data taxonomy and/or efforts to collect data, and oversee the editorial aspects specifically related to Rankings and collecting voting data.
The ideal candidate will be confident in making informed decisions after receiving input and asking for critical feedback from cross-functional partners. You will possess the communication skills to successfully advocate for and gain acceptance of new taxonomy-related processes and governance policies. You must be concise, definitive, and convincing in their well-founded recommendations.
What you’ll do
- Develop, evaluate, and manage taxonomy strategies and vision, developing roadmaps and project plans to continually improve content accessibility & browsing;
- Develop governance models, frameworks, and documentation around tags, to support the effective content discovery and enabling meaningful search results;
- Work closely with Editorial team and product managers to implement an efficient & tailored tags management system (be accountable for business requirements related to taxonomy tools);
- Develop relations between tags & classification to facilitate understanding & connect efficiently content to people (via parent terms, synonyms, related terms, etc);
- Manage the evaluation, selection and onboarding of any 3rd party data source used to augment Ranker’s proprietary data sources.
- Oversee all aspects that relate to consistency and comprehensiveness of our “poll lists” as well as moderation and cleanup of all nodes on lists
- Monitor appropriate voters and votes coverage levels for key lists and nodes and collaborate with product teams to define the right KPIs and with the Editorial team to put in place the right programs to address any potential gaps in coverage
- Raise awareness for tags & metadata usage among internal teams;
- Stay up to date regarding taxonomy trends & share them with team members;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
What You’ll Need
- Experience in classifying and organizing deep and broad libraries of TV and Film and other media and entertainment content categories.
- Proven success in creating and managing large and complex taxonomies.
- Experience with metadata, subject classification, description cataloging, and user experience
- Candidates must provide recent examples of their ability to improve information accessibility via a strategy and an action plan that include a taxonomy, an ontology or a metadata schemes.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of taxonomy, ontology and folksonomy disciplines and trends.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, and a genuine interest in making continuous improvements to taxonomies based on ongoing data analysis and business inputs.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, project management and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to clearly explain complex ideas verbally and in writing.
- Passionate about apps and website usability and the role of metadata in improving user experiences.
- Positive attitude, initiative & leadership skills are a must!
- University degree in Library, Information Science or any relevant discipline. Master’s of Library Science (MLIS) a plus
- Los Angeles strongly preferred
To apply for this job please visit blog.ranker.com.