1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
We are a profitable software company that believes in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for people who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
We here at Scribd are investing in engineering and our team is growing rapidly. We’re looking for an experienced engineering manager to help guide and develop our search features and the team of engineers focused on building our ever-smarter searches. Our engineers are smart, dedicated, and they love solving difficult challenges and pushing themselves to rethink the way they write software. They look to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship and honest feedback. They rely on their leadership to guide productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. As a manager, your job is to keep your team efficient and executing on the right goals, to meet the needs of both the product and the engineers.
Your Search Team has already accomplished some impressive goals. They have created algorithms that connect our 100 million unique visitors a month to the 100 million documents they are looking for. This team has met this immense technical challenge all while providing ever more refined search options to our readers. They make possible the soul and center of the Scribd experience.
You are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring software development teams that deliver stable, high-quality software. You have a technical background, are able to contribute to planning and design discussions, and believe in building teams and practices that scale. You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership and pride in your team. You know and care about software engineering standards and methodologies. You know how to make this team shine and by extension, all of Scribd.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a growing search engineering team to deliver on key company goals as it relates to creating algorithms that will ensure that every search leads to what our readers are looking for.
- Have regular 1:1s with the search team and perform annual performance evaluations.
- Maintain our happy and healthy culture, and advocate for your engineers across the company.
- Act as the hiring manager for the search team, screening resumes, performing interviews and growing the team with the best talent the world has to offer.
- Triage Jira tickets as they are filed. Ensure the important work gets done and that the engineers’ workloads are perfectly balanced.
- Have a sense of a management style that works for you, a leadership approach and philosophy that is flexible to adapt to the needs and style of your team.
- Define goals and timelines, unblock obstacles, tackle questions and challenges that arise so your team can continue to focus on programming.
- Ensure your team’s codebase, tooling & dependencies are up to date.
- Demonstrated progression in technical capability throughout your career, especially in server-side engineering.
- Experience directly managing 4 or more engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead technical teams, including performance management.
- Strong computer science fundamentals, ideally from a computer science degree.
- Experience collaborating with designers, product managers, and other engineering leaders.
- Excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance.
- Experience in Search systems and Ruby a plus.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.