At WordPress.com, we enable millions of people around the globe to publish and share their stories. The WordPress.com Reader, our mobile apps, and email newsletters provide ways to access and discover our users’ content.
As a Senior Product Manager in our Search and Recommendations team, you will:
- Collaboratively define our strategy and roadmap to connect readers with the content that is most relevant to them. Be mindful about presenting quality content and impacting our users in ways we will be proud of.
- Work with a cross-functional team of senior engineers and data scientists to prioritize the most impactful work and launch customer-facing features.
- Think holistically and go deep. Participate in all stages of the product development cycle from ideation through implementation and iteration.
- Build a deep understanding of our users’ needs and communicate them to the team.
- Define, monitor, and analyze key performance metrics for the content experience at WordPress.com, and use this data to inform the future direction.
- Work with the team lead for Search and Recommendations on improving product development practices and processes, mentor and support the team in focussing on customer value.
We are looking for:
- Experience in creating engaging, personalized, algorithmic feeds and content experiences, ideally ones that leveraged machine learning.
- The ability to collect, analyze and communicate data to the team and the company as a whole, to integrate feedback, validate ideas, and iterate on our products while being mindful of our customers, contributors, and insights gleaned by our support teams.
- The ability to connect business strategies, customer needs and available technologies to deliver best-in-class products. A good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of machine learning approaches will be helpful.
- A solid understanding of engineering workflows and enough technical depth to successfully work with engineers and data scientists.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of other languages and international markets is a plus.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team. Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
- Experience in working with search engines and search applications is a plus.
More about the team
We are a cross-functional, internationally distributed team of developers, data scientists, and search engineers working on search applications and content recommendations for WordPress.com, Jetpack and other products. This year, our team launched a whole new search application for Jetpack sites, and we are building a new content discovery engine to power the WordPress.com Reader.
How we work at Automattic
We’re a global, distributed workforce in over 70 countries. We value open source, prioritize transparent communication, believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Automatticians to work together across positions and roles. Together we create, develop, and care for a collection of digital products and services that are committed to democratizing publishing and commerce.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.