About the Team
Our teams are responsible for search ranking and recommendations. Our aim is to present the best of Etsy’s inventory. As an engineer on our team, you will play a major role in improving the shopping experience for millions of Etsy buyers. We’re a cross-functional group of engineers, data scientists, product managers, designers, and researchers.
With your help, we are giving our buyers better tools to find what they are looking for and to help them form a connection with our sellers. In this role, you will put your skills to use by helping us improve the ranking and suggestions of localized results through machine learning algorithms. You will also create workflows and pipelines to effectively transform data into appropriate results for our buyers. You will join a talented team of engineers to collaborate on all of these projects.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with our Data Science and ML team, Data Platform team and many more product squads. We’re a growing team with a huge impact that builds tools and platform capabilities for data scientists and ML engineers to access feature data, build machine learning models, test hypotheses and productionize them on our ML platform hosted in Google Cloud. We value empathy, communication and technical skills equally. Here’s a taste of the problems we’re solving:
- How can we help someone find that perfect item, even when they don’t know what they’re looking for?
- How do we rank millions of search results in a matter of milliseconds, so that we’re always surfacing the best of Etsy?
- How can we maximize the relevance of search results over an enormous range of queries and buyers?
- How can the search experience make Etsy come to life and feel as vibrant as the community of makers that’s behind it?
- How can we understand buyer’s motives and interests to personalize their experience?
- How can we help buyers to explore the breadth of Etsy’s inventory?
We are language-agnostic in our approach to interviewing.
This role is located in our Brooklyn HQ.
- Experience with objective-oriented programming languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Familiarity with machine learning and deep learning solutions across the entire machine learning stack, from data collection to evaluation
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (like PySpark, Scalding, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
About the Role
In this role you will:
- Contribute at all levels of Etsy’s search and recommendations stacks, ranging from application back-end technologies (PHP, Java, Python, MySQL, Scala, Vertica) as well as machine learning stack (PySpark, Scalding, Airflow).
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams (e.g. machine learning infrastructure, data science, search experience), participating in design, prioritization and implementation.
- Develop and train machine learning data sources and models, both to iterate on existing features and develop new features.
- Use feature engineering tools and principles to clean and transform data into signals driving listing quality
- Deploy models to production, sometimes including application development for your feature.
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
You will do well in this role if you:
- Enjoy thinking about the implications of your work on end users.
- You are comfortable collaborating with Product Managers, Data Analysts, and Designers to ensure that you’re delivering impactful product features.
- Have experience operating within a large codebase and working to create simplicity from complex systems, including using experiments and data to drive decision making.
- Are an analytical thinker and understand how to wield data to make informed decisions about your work.
- Write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You turn ideas into deeply reliable and well tested code that other people – or you, six months into the future – will find easy to comprehend and modify.
- You have worked with machine learning and understand the needs of data scientists and ML engineers.
- You have solid engineering and coding skills, data structure knowledge and ability to write high performance production quality code.
To apply for this job please visit www.etsy.com.