When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry is looking for a passionate Software Quality Engineer in our San Francisco office to help maintain high-accuracy and quality of data and releases for our Search Engine team. You will steer the development teams toward better test strategies and enable them to implement and maintain deterministic test automation. You will prepare test plans and cases and write automation towards the completion of those cases. Some ad-hoc, manual testing may be required based on the determined risk of the release.
You should have a passion for data quality, software testing, a great customer experience, API test automation, and working in an agile context. In this role, you will mentor, coach, and work directly with development teams to promote adoption of testing best practices and tools. You will lead and coordinate efforts with third party testers on their development teams.
- Develop data-oriented test strategies, create test plans, execute test cases both manually and via automation to test Ancestry search products and data Integrations
- Develop automation strategy to develop automated tests to validate large data sets
- Use Solr APIs to validate resulting indexed data set
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams to analyze, debug and resolve issues
- Create/Evaluate test tools to improve the test process, test coverage, and overall quality
- Work closely with Scrum team members to clarify requirements, ensure testability and automatability and provide feedback on functional and technical design
- Analyze the potential impact of the requirement changes, assess risk and be a vocal champion for quality in every phase of the development process
- Continue to improve automation coverage & reduce regression cycles
Who you are…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent required
- 3+ years software testing experience developing and maintaining API test automation
- Strong analytic skills
- Verifiable working knowledge of testing HTTP (REST, JSON, XML) and non-HTTP protocols (Protobuf preferred)Fluency in test automation using Java and Solr
- Experience with continuous testing practices in a CI/CD development pipeline, and deploying test automation in the dev pipeline
- Knowledge of current test automation tools and frameworks (ie: Selenium, TestNG, JUnit, Postman, RestAssured, JMeter)
- Experience maintaining, setting up and using SonarQube for static analysis and quality gates preferred
- Experience using performance testing tools and processes a plus
- Working knowledge of AWS, Jenkins, continuous delivery, Git preferred
To apply for this job please visit careers.ancestry.com.