Website Course Hero
Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for a Staff Search Relevancy engineer to take ownership of the design and implementation of Course Hero’s consumer-facing site search, and lead the development of search relevancy and ranking algorithms for understanding user intent, defining matching strategies, retrieving relevant results, and delivering an engaging search experience. You’ll be part of the multi-functional Search and Discovery pod that is responsible for building personalized search, recommendations, and browsing experiences to help millions of customers (students and educators) discover relevant course-specific study resources that help them get unstuck and graduate confident and prepared.
As a staff engineer, you’ll be expected to take the lead on multiple projects and be involved in every step of the process. We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and adapt to constantly evolving business needs. You can view these videos to learn more about our engineering culture, and our company mission.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact
- Design and develop components to deliver personalized search experience and improve search engine powering Course Hero search for millions of customers with diverse, long-tail search intents.
- Use Elasticsearch and ML/NLP techniques to solve challenging problems in relevance, vertical selection and ranking, query understanding, and semantic matching.
- Evaluate and extend existing search architectures and identify optimizations in terms of indexing, search and query performance tuning.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with ML experts, frontend designers, and product owners to ideate, execute, and deliver compelling and personalized intelligent search experiences.
Are you our Staff Search Relevancy Engineer?
- 5+ years experience developing search algorithms using search platforms (e.g. Elastic, Solr, Lucene).
- 2+ years experience in designing Elasticsearch indexes, mappings, queries using DSL, and writing server-side plugins.
- 3+ years of proven ability writing production code in Java, or Python or Golang.
- Background in information retrieval, data management, and Natural Language Processing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Exposure to a variety of machine learning algorithms and/or experience working with ML teams in the past
- Experience build services application using containerization, microservices, preferably in AWS
- Experience in working with Lambda Architecture Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark
Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more)
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Onsite gym – Pacific Shores Center – Classes – Pool – Spa – Rock Wall – Massages
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City, and cell-phone allowance
- 10K Local Move Program to move within 10 miles of our office
- 16 weeks of paid leave for maternity or paternity
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out videos on our LinkedIn Career Page
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as the 278th Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500 and also 2019’s One of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the Bay Area News Group. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
To apply for this job please visit www.coursehero.com.