Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
About the Team
Our team is responsible for building search and discovery services for Etsy. Our aim is to help our buyers discover and explore Etsy’s unique inventory and help them find the perfect item that they are looking for . As an engineer on the team, you will play a major role in improving the shopping experience for millions of Etsy buyers.
Search Matching team specializes in information retrieval and focuses on improving the quality of search results through machine learning, natural language processing and personalization techniques.. Here’s a taste of the problems we’re solving:
- How can we help someone find that perfect item, even when they don’t know what they’re looking for?
- How do we rank millions of search results in a matter of milliseconds, so that we’re always surfacing the best of Etsy?
- How can we maximize the relevance of search results over an enormous range of queries and buyers?
- How can the search experience make Etsy come to life and feel as vibrant as the community of makers that’s behind it?
- How can we understand buyer’s motives and interests to personalize their experience?
- How can we help buyers to explore the breadth of Etsy’s inventory?
We are language-agnostic in our approach to interviewing.
This role is located in Brooklyn, NY and also open to remote.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the role
In this role you will:
- Contribute at all levels of Etsy’s search stack, ranging from application back-end technologies (PHP, Java, Python, Scala, SQL) as well as machine learning stack (PySpark, Scalding, Airflow, Tensorflow).
- Work in a cross-functional product team with Product Managers, Data Scientists, and Data Analysts to develop next-generation information retrieval and search systems for Etsy.
- Deploy ML models to production, sometimes including application development for your feature.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
- You have solid engineering and coding skills, data structure knowledge and ability to write high performance production quality code.
- Familiarity with machine learning and deep learning solutions across the entire machine learning stack, from data collection to evaluation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are an analytical thinker and understand how to wield data to make informed decisions about your work.
- Experience with objective-oriented programming languages: Java, Scala, Python, etc.
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (like Tensorflow, Spark, Scalding, etc.)
- Experience with search technologies such as Lucene, Solr or Elasticsearch.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Cloud Platforms(GCP, AWS, Azure, etc) is a plus.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.