endesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organisations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organisations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Support is Zendesk’s flagship product and the Search team powers the search functionality across the entire product. We deal with high scale in millions of transactions each day. With the ongoing company’s growth, we’re now seeking an experienced Engineering professional to lead and develop our team in San Francisco, which is focused on preparing us for the next generation architecture.
As the Search Engineering Manager at Zendesk, you’ll utilise both your leadership and your technical expertise to guide and enable our team of talented engineers. As a leader, you’ll ensure that they’re shipping architecturally-sound software at a regular cadence.
What you get to do every day:
- Recruit, onboard and develop talented software engineers for the team.
- Be hands-on – you’ll contribute to the core Zendesk Support codebase on a regular basis.
- Help us re-architect our systems to a hybrid of AWS and other technologies.
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams across the globe to deliver effectively.
- Grow and mature the team so that they can take ownership of the codebase and undertake full end-to-end projects.
- Influence good architectural decisions, balanced by the reality of our business strategy.
- Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle including being a principal collaborator with Product Managers to define product specifications.
- Review code submissions of junior staff mentoring and guiding them throughout the process.
- Successfully move an application through QA and production stages in our continuous integration environment through to deployment.
- Proactively seeking out and help to minimise pain points within the infrastructure and code base of the Zendesk’s application.
- Work in a dynamic agile team where best practices for delivering excellence and high availability software is everything.
What you bring to the role:
- You understand how a platform team works and know how to define its boundaries well.
- Proven experience in a progressive software development environment, preferably in SaaS, using Ruby on Rails, Java.
- The ability to juggle multiple sub-teams working on disparate domains of the system. Think data pipeline, user experience and search relevance.
- Previous responsibility for the management and development of a Software Engineering team.
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal.
A quality, balanced approach to development and testing.
- A love of problem-solving.
- Being comfortable getting onto production servers and delving into the logs becomes important. When problems occur we work with the operations team to help figure out what’s going on and how to fix it.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
You love helping everyone improve their code, working together with the team on Github and the PR process.
- Perks include a competitive salary package as well as stock, flexible working hours, a fully stocked kitchen! We’re also keen on ongoing learning so you’ll develop your skills through pair programming, lunch and learns, hackathons, lab days to experiment with new ideas and a yearly training allowance too. In addition, you’ll be invited, and encouraged, to take part in company-sponsored volunteer initiatives.
If you are passionate about working on a core product element with incredible scale, our friendly, supportive & diverse team is for you.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.