Written for SEO professionals who usually are trying to figure out how to rank their sites, this articles looks to understand what’s under the hood of an engine’s ranking.
According to the article there are 5 steps to ranking. I’ve included the author’s terminology, and mine in parentheses:
- Classify (Query classification/Query rewriting/Query intent)
- Context (Personalization)
- Weights (I think this is like a first pass ranking and/or recall)
- Layout (UI, Page features)
- Ranking (or MLR Machine-Learned Ranking)