Data Science Manager, Search & Feeds
at Reddit (View all jobs)
“The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to work with the Search & Feeds teams to drive insights on how we can help users find the content and communities that will give them a strong sense of belonging within our platform. Your work will help empower the teams to build a platform that can power features across all of Reddit’s most-used surfaces. By partnering with engineering teams, PMs, and designers, your work will help encourage community participation, content creation, discovery, retention, and growth.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Reddit’s mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world, and you will be pivotal in making that happen. Search & Feeds are a core aspect of the user experience, serving in inspiration, discovery, and navigation roles. As Search becomes more and more of a foundational platform within Reddit serving not only traditional search results, but also tackling recommendations, listings, and ad-targeting, a Data Scientist with a strong understanding of the space will be an invaluable addition to the Search team. Further, there are few roles in the world that have exposure to more people than working on the Feeds team to drive safety, analytics, and insights to the core Reddit experience.
Your work will be centered around driving toward an understanding of how to make search and feeds results more relevant, for Reddit’s hundreds of millions of users, whether they’re actively typing and searching in the search bar, or are looking at recommended posts as they navigate the communities they love.
What You’ll Learn:
You will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in modeling, experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference. There will be a variety of ways to help us grow with your skills and no shortage of places where you will grow through the skills of those around you.
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct exploratory analyses on understanding search and feeds patterns to help shape the relevance work the engineering team undertakes
- Identify those signals that can be best leveraged to ensure the best search results and feeds are served for every query segment
- Design and evaluate product feature experiments and A/B tests to determine the effectiveness of the product strategy and influence it through data insights
- Define team metrics and goals and make them easily available through ETLs (extract/transform/load) and reporting dashboards
- Lead the integration and use of user satisfaction signals to power the next generation of search and feed result relevance
- Automate the discovery of search quality problems and trends to prioritize the most impactful features that will address gaps in search result quality
Who You Might Be:
- 4-6 years of experience in quantitative or data science roles, preferably with a focus on search systems
- Proficiency with relational databases (e.g., SQL)
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and programming languages (e.g., R / Python)
- Results-oriented with a strong customer and business focus
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, demonstrated ability to innovate and bias toward action in fast-paced environments
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.