Since 2007, POLITICO has been committed to non-partisan journalism. We create products and deliver content of consequence; they have the power to change the course of history by making democracy better through our coverage of politics, policy, and power. As long as those intersect, there will be a need for POLITICO and our stories.
POLITICO is looking for a data scientist to develop subject matter expertise in new and emerging technologies, in order to bring novel products to our customers. Over the past few years, these technologies have included search and relevancy, recommendation algorithms, natural language processing, and graph analytics. Looking forward, we will improve the depth of our skill with these techniques and incorporate new technologies.
What we’ve done recently:
- Develop a search service using Elasticsearch
- Develop a recommendation system using Elasticsearch
- Develop a data warehouse using Amazon Redshift
- Develop a data pipeline using Apache Kafka
- Develop a geo-processing and geographic search capability
- Investigate the use of Doc2Vec for improved document clustering
- Investigate patterns of legislative action to determine networks of support for an issue
What You’ll Do:
You’ll identify advanced technologies, develop prototypes, and architect new services that lead to new product offerings. After new products are put into production, you’ll serve as a subject matter expert on these techniques, both in an instructive role (to other developers) and in an operational role (fixing bugs, making optimizations, refactoring code). To do this, you’ll be:
- Working collaboratively within a research group to explore and develop new ideas
- Writing clean and efficient code to test and demonstrate ideas
- Operating with an experimental mindset, designing tests and metrics to gauge success
- Listening with a combination of empathy and critical thought
- Documenting and explaining findings and potential capabilities to audiences across a broad technical spectrum
- Supporting production systems with your deep knowledge of the integrated technologies
What You’ll Need:
- 1-3 years of writing production code in Java and Python
- 1-3 years of doing data science
- Exposure to a Lisp
- Comfort level with a variety of relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with search technology / relevance engineering
- Experience with recommendation systems
- Work within the AWS ecosystem
- Regular use of Git
- Background in statistics
- Knowledge of political science
- Familiarity with Spring Boot applications
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators, and talent cultivators. Our culture is defined by grit, total integrity, and a prioritization on innovation.
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Want to join POLITICO but don’t see a job suited to you? Sign up to be a part of our Talent Network to be alerted of future opportunities.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.