When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 24 billion digitized global historical records, 100 million family trees, and 16+ million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain actionable insights about their health and wellness. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
We’re looking for a Director of Data Science with expertise in search, recommendation and personalization to lead our Discovery team here at Ancestry. Reporting directly to the VP of Data Science & Analytics, you will be a member of the global Data Science & Analytics team, tackling our toughest and most exciting recommendation and personalization problems across all of our product offerings including Family History, DNA, and Health using advanced AI and ML technologies. The team is currently based out of our San Francisco office, but remote work is available in some states.
- Manage, mentor, and aid direct reports in career development
- Lead a team using ML and AI solutions to drive product innovations in recommendation and personalization areas across Family History, DNA, and Health products
- Partner with Product, Engineering, UX and Platform stakeholders to identify/prioritize top AI/ML opportunities
- Support Product, Engineering, UX and Platform stakeholders to define a long-term AI vision for the recommendation and personalization team and help with the detailed road-map planning
- Help champion a data-driven culture and push long-term business value creation through development of best-in-class data science capabilities
Who you are…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics or other related field required, Masters or Ph.D. preferred
- 5+ years industry experience; developing ML/AI models with focus on recommendation and personalization particularly in areas such as search.
- 3+ years experience managing a team of experts in ML/AI
- Extensive experience with advanced ML/AI techniques concerning ranking, recommendation and personalization (e.g., natural networks/deep learning, reinforcement learning, Natural Language Processing, Rank SVM, etc.)
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, and Java or other programming languages such as C/C++
- Experience with SPARK
- Experience with cloud computing, preferably Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience at expert level in agile software development
- Experience working on or managing projects involving large scale, multi dimensional databases, complex business infrastructure, and cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of strong verbal/written communication and presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Demonstrated success leading a team with proven track record of delivering results
- Experience influencing internal and external decision-makers
- Excellent people leadership skills and a proven track record of developing high potential talent
- Self-starter, high level of motivation and ability to work well independently as well as motivate and energize teams
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means