Website JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Do you have a passion for connecting people with information? Come help shape the future of exploration and discovery! We are seeking a creative and user-focused Information Science Specialist Level 2 with a background and training in the sciences to provide research support, outreach, and collection management work. This position will report to the Group Supervisor and help guide the Library’s emerging taxonomy development and content management services, will lead collection development efforts in JPL-related engineering and science areas, and will also contribute to Library’s website, LibGuides, and training materials.
Tasks include but not limited to:
- Lead collection development in various areas of engineering and the sciences (especially chemistry and materials science), and engage with product vendors in these fields.
- Help develop and guide the Library’s emerging taxonomy and metadata development services, and participate in search curation and other information science efforts.
- Provide literature research and consultation work for project teams and individuals with both standard bibliographic databases and JPL internal document repositories.
- Support and promote the Library’s materials science databases such as ASM Materials, Springer Materials, and CINDAS suite.
- Help craft and maintain the JPL Library’s website content, including developing training materials in handout, LibGuide, video, and other formats.
- Help guide content management support services for various JPL offices and teams.
- Provide data management support for scientists and other researchers.
- Support the use of reference management software such as EndNote, Zotero, Mandeley, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science or library science with 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in Information Science or library science with 1 year of related experience; PhD in Information Science or library science with 0 years of related experience.
- Proficient in using online catalogs, library databases and other electronic resources.
- Familiarity with science/engineering related information resources and the scientific and technical literature.
- Experience with discipline-specific collection development, especially in the sciences and engineering.
- Experience with providing library reference, consultation, and other user research services.
- Experience with taxonomy and/or metadata development.
- Proficient with basic computer office software (word processing, spreadsheets).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to write and deliver communication to various audiences, including engineers, scientists and management.
- Ability to thrive in a diverse team environment as well as work individually within the team.
- Additional Bachelor’s or graduate degree in a science or engineering discipline related to JPL’s missions and projects (Ex. Mathematics, Chemistry, Materials science, Physics, any engineering area, etc.).
- Proficiency in working with science and engineering-focused collections and related information resources, and well versed in the scientific and technical literature.
- Experience developing and leading taxonomy and/or metadata services or initiatives.
- Experience with library vendor relations, especially in the sciences and engineering field.
- Experience developing and delivering training, especially in the use of science and engineering publication databases, electronic handbooks and resources.
To apply for this job please visit jpl.jobs.