At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; we believe ideas should be judged by the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer that will work on building advanced recommendation systems that help users to navigate the vast library of quality content on Medium. As an engineer on the recommendations team, you’ll work closely with PMs and ML engineers to create the best version of Medium for every user.
What will you do?
- Work on a large-scale recommendation system that uses machine learning in its core
- Build data pipelines and high performance online serving infrastructure
- Design and build scalable systems that apply state-of-the-art machine learning models to serve millions of users
- Solve challenging problems in NLP, user understanding, and content recommendations
Who are you?
- You have 3+ years of experience building server-side software
- You have experience working on production machine learning systems at scale in search, ranking, recommendations, and/or natural language processing
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary
- You are passionate about using technology to help Medium readers discover the most interesting and relevant content
We’d particularly love it if…
- You have built services that serve a significant amount of traffic
- You are fluent in Golang, Python, and/or Spark
- You have experience with AWS, Kafka, Redis, and relational database systems
- You have familiarity with microservices architecture and understand its trade-offs
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.