At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
We are looking for a passionate and seasoned strategic leader to join Scribd’s engineering leadership team leading our Machine Learning and Discovery teams – Recommendation, Search and Applied Research/Data Science.
About the role
This is a strategic role for Scribd. Personalized recommendations, accurate search results, and ML-based solutions to Scribd’s domain-specific challenges are key elements to building amazing product experiences and growing our business. There’s significant overlap between the teams responsible for each – data, engineering practices, business outcomes – that need to be aligned and leveraged for maximum impact to Scribd’s business.
Your career includes experience in both software engineering and data science. Whether you started your career building production systems or analyzing data, you’re comfortable engaging with the challenges across both domains. You can work with Product and other stakeholders to deliver quick results while also managing longer-term research projects. You can plan and deliver a complex roadmap, and grow leaders that can do the same. Your next role will be one that builds on all of your past experiences and challenges you to deliver important results in a fast-paced startup environment.
- At least 15 years of experience building and delivering software products
- At least five years of experience as a Manager, and at least two managing multiple teams or managers
- A working knowledge of search systems, recommendation systems, and common machine learning techniques applicable to digital content
- Experience collaborating with designers, product managers, and other engineering leadersA history of growing teams and building leaders
- Work with Product, Engineering, and other stakeholders to identify, evaluate, and prioritize opportunities within content discovery and engagement.
- Drive the creation of a unified roadmap for the Applied Research, Search and Recommendations teams, in partnership with Product & the leadership team.
- Strive to improve our technical excellence and developer velocity.
- Build team processes and cultures that consistently ship product improvements with measurable business impact.
- Grow Machine Learning talent within Scribd Engineering and drive a roadmap that applies Machine Learning technologies to content discovery and engagement.
- Incorporate advances in research into our solutions to ensure we take full advantage of the best science available.
- Inspire, manage, and grow the next generation of Engineering leaders at Scribd
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options – every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly flexible Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.