Who we are:
Search Technologies is a highly impactful team at Wayfair looking for experienced engineers. We build fast, reliable and powerful customer-facing search systems across all Wayfair platforms. Our infrastructure provides the most enjoyable browsing and shopping experience for our customers and partners. Search Technologies is very collaborative, as we partner with storefront and app teams, data science, infrastructure teams and operational engineering teams to create a holistic search experience for Wayfair’s customers.
This team develops and maintains all the back-end systems that a customer interacts with when they click into the search bar on Wayfair’s sites. The Search platform provides text-search capabilities to nearly every application in our storefront, with minimal latency and pinpoint accuracy. Our Search infrastructure is vast and virtualized across a hybrid multi-datacenter environment. We strive to create a more usable search platform for all teams building text-search driven experiences. We create automated processes, tools and coach our peers to ease the burden of using, developing and maintaining large search applications. We partner with our infrastructure teams to provide a stable search platform, and with nearly every team at wayfair to produce a quality search experience.
What you’ll do:
- Build distributed data pipeline systems that can ingest millions of data change events within minutes, funneling them into document updates on our primary search indexes.
- Work collaboratively with partnering teams to create service-oriented contract layers and event streams to enable fast, modular transfer of data between large applications throughout the company.
- Build and enhance software to maintain our search infrastructure, with disaster recovery, hybrid multi-datacenter support, caching, failover capabilities, and a customized deployment process.
- Create containerized search applications to be leveraged by Search Technologies peers, as well as all engineering teams at Wayfair looking to utilize text-search and fast filtering capabilities
- Develop a robust CI/CD process for all text-search applications, with git integration, automated testing capabilities.
- Construct layers of abstraction and services to enable simpler interactions between customer facing applications and the search systems that support them.
What you’ll need:
- A graduate of a computer science, mathematics, engineering, physical science related degree program with 4+ years of relevant industry experience, OR have 6+ years of relevant industry experience
- Python or Java Experience experience preferred
- Experience in Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing is a plus
- Experience with Lucene-based Search engines like Solr or Elasticsearch
- Experience in relational database (MS SQL or similar) schema design, optimization and architecture
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes or other containerization technologies is a plus
- Expertise in algorithms and data structures
- Ability to maintain a stable application infrastructure
- Good understanding of DevOps and experience in cloud-computing technologies and puppet is a plus.
- A continuous drive to explore, enhance, automate and optimize distributed systems
- Ability to work creatively and problem solve independently
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Experience with large-scale data processing and design of distributed systems.
- Experience with streaming technologies like Spark, Storm, Kafka etc is a plus
To apply for this job please visit www.wayfaircareers.com.