When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our search API platforms team. In this role, you will deliver innovative solutions by building out our Ancestry search services functionality. You will be design and writing APIs that will interact with our Search Engine and Content Management systems. You will define the experiences in engineering a search platform by using a variety of technologies such as Java, Kubernetes and Docker.A
What you will do:
- Be a key player in designing and writing APIs enabling the retrieval of search results and related services.
- Owns technical aspects of software framework development.
- Performs design and development of test cases for integration, load and performance tests.
- Develops a deep understanding of tie-ins with our systems and platforms.
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies.
- Works closely with product owners on quality aspects that impact search platform, services, and frameworks.
Who you are:
- Expert in Java and object-oriented development. Applies generics, interfaces, abstract classes, delegates, pipelined / fluent patterns…
- Expert in Enterprise level development including real-time updates, queuing systems, relational database storage, file systems including S3, Map-Reduce systems, etc.
- Expert in coding practices, SOLID, 100% code coverage mentality.
- Skilled in text processing, tokenization, parsing, normalization, phonetics, date processing, location/place processing, relational systems, non-sql systems, Boolean queries, phrase queries, term frequencies, etc.
- Familiar in searching and results ranking. Proper ranking of results is critical and one of the key indicators of a correct search system.
- Familiar in cloud services, Kubernetes, Jenkins, CI/CD…
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means
To apply for this job please visit careers.ancestry.com.