The Search Design team invents and simplifies the shopping experience daily. We obsess over customer behavior and data to help us deliver customer innovation on a massive scale. We are building the cornerstone product search experience for modern ecommerce with the goal of changing the way people shop. Our work impacts millions of people daily and is a critical part of Amazon’s global business.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for a passionate Principal Design Technologist who leads by doing, loves solving problems at massive scale and brings their best self to work everyday.
What You Bring
You have an “anything is possible” mindset. You’re proud of your work, your skills and expertise – but you’re not cynical, inflexible or only about new technology and you want to be part of something great. You love being part of a highly collaborative and high-energy team that isn’t afraid to swing for the fences and exceed expectations even on the most tactical projects.
You geek out over front-end development and have a deep understanding of front-end technologies, methods, and best practices, but you also have a nimble, creative and pragmatic approach, and you’re interested in pushing the boundaries of agile processes. You are a passionate, curious technologist with uncanny observational and analytical skills, an impressive ability to collaborate with other teams and designers, and a relentless determination to do what is right for Amazon’s customers. You can work with minimal direction while delivering high-quality outputs. You will work on overlapping projects, so you are good at multi-tasking, juggling competing priorities, and organizing yourself to ensure you deliver on your commitments.
What you will do
In this role, you will be working with a highly collaborative team of designers, researchers, PMs, and engineers and will be responsible for driving and implementing new design prototypes, concepts, and tools for Amazon Search. You will use a variety of tools and technologies to prototype new ways of shopping, always seeking to leverage technology to meet the customer need and effectively scale your impact. You will collaborate on UX concepts at a variety of fidelities including working samples and reference code and you will be the bridge between design and engineering.
Key responsibilities for the Senior Design technologist:
· Actively participate in concept development and design ideation as part of a small team.
· Rapidly build and iterate on polished, high-fidelity prototypes that express design intent, using the best and most appropriate tools and techniques for the task.
· Develop functional prototypes to prove and sell concepts to development teams and senior leadership.
· Partner with engineering to ensure that interactive techniques and technologies translate through to shipping products and services.
· Be able to work creatively through and around perceived limitations and/or challenges imposed by the delivery platform to create delightful experiences for customers.
· Act as project manager for prototyping efforts.
· Lead others and set direction in the face of ambiguity.
· Participate in annual planning and end-to-end design process.
· Evaluate and document any new creative and/or engineering standards or patterns that could arise from your work.
· Proactively mentor and develop other Designers and Design Technologists.
· Effectively present work to all levels of leadership.
· Perform metrics analysis to inform design/UX optimization efforts
· 8+ years of proven success driving innovation and prototyping projects that lead to demonstrated customer/business impact
· Experience using AWS in production environments
· Knowledge of databases and AWS database services: ElasticSearch, Redshift, DynamoDB
· Experience using dashboarding tools for exploration and presentation, connected to real data sources
· BS/MS in computer science, technology, design, or equivalent professional experience
· Experience with machine learning (ML) tools and methods is a bonus
· The ability to meet ambitious deadlines, manage ambiguity, work autonomously and deliver high-quality work on schedule in a fast-paced environment
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
· Experience and passion for developing visually polished, engaging, and highly fluid UX prototypes
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.