About the Role
Technical Program Managers at Uber play a critical role executing high-impact organization-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of product and engineering organizations. Storage & Search Infrastructure at Uber powers the storage and search needs for all of Uber. This team builds and manages the platforms and the APIs that every single engineering team at Uber uses. Uber’s scale, new & improving storage access patterns and ongoing technological advancements, make these systems some of the most sophisticated in the world.
This Senior Technical Program Manager will lead a range of ambitious programs – enabling engineers across Uber to ship products and services faster; improving the efficiency of Uber’s infrastructure; and ensuring best-in-class reliability. The ideal candidate will have strong technical aptitude for: understaning developers’ needs; defining technical requirements; partnering with and influencing stakeholders; owning program schedules; and communicating at all levels of the organization.
What You’ll Do
You will collaborate with the Storage and Search Infrastructure teams plan, execute and deliver various programs. You engage with stakeholders across the organization and ensure that the Infrastructure meets their needs. You build relationships and trust with various influencers across the organization. You drive programs with empathy and integrity. You are not afraid to make key decisions and be direct in your conversations.
- Manage complex and large scale cross-team and cross-functional programs and initiatives.
- Understand end goals and formulate plans to meet those goals. Define Objectives and Key Results. Ensure broad agreement and alignment on them. Execute on those plans, and ensure timely delivery.
- Identify and mitigate risks. Proactively remove obstacles. Manage escalations
- Develop broad technical knowledge and domain expertise. Understand the long term implications of architectural and technical changes, while not losing focus on the short term deliverables.
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Improve processes where needed, while being cognizant of not slowing down engineering teams.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (Master’s preferred)
- Strong technical experience in large distributed systems at scale. Experience in building storage (structured or unstructured) & search technologies
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a TPM or Engineering Manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence.
- Proven strong cross-team and cross-org stakeholder management. Ability to influence, motivate, and align people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items. Be good at facilitating discussions.
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Excellent in identifying process gaps, measuring progress, and balancing engineering and product efficiency with process overhead.
Bonus Points If
- Experience with open source storage and search technologies, and sound knowledge of industry trends in these areas
- Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
- Experience with system level improvements in large scale systems – efficiency, reliability, performance, etc.
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
- Proven leadership skills and stakeholder alignment
About the Team
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role in delivering high-impact company-wide initiatives to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
To apply for this job please visit www.uber.com.