Do you want to be a part of the team that helps customers find exactly what they are looking for, it could be that beautiful poppy wall art or antique center table? Then come join the Relevance team. We are looking for experienced engineers with a creative mindset.
Wayfair’s Search and Recommendations team provides the core platforms and services that allow our customers to discover & buy the products they love. Our systems leverage Wayfair’s extensive customer and product data to deliver trusted and valuable recommendations and results in real time using custom machine learning models & Lucene-based search systems. Our services are called over a billion times a day. We provide both an essential service for Wayfair, but also serve as a key lever for growth and customer value.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering lead to join our team to help us build our next-generation Relevance platform. The services this team is responsible for determine which products we show to our customers every time they search. We are a highly impactful & fully autonomous team. Our models, services and platforms leverage a massive amount of customer and catalog data in realtime to deliver a personalized experience to customers who search our site.
What you’ll do:
- Work with a variety of technologies, including Java, Python, Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Aerospike, Airflow, RESTful web services, gRPC, Kubernetes, Lucene based search engine and GCP.
- Create and enhance Big Data and Machine Learning pipelines used for training ML models
- Work collaboratively on microservice based Java and Python API platforms
- Construct abstraction layers/services over lucene-based and other ML-based systems that power retrieval of product data, search suggestions, catalog data or other classification data and power personalization of results for individual customers at scale.
- Create containerized search applications in docker/kubernetes to be leveraged by Search Technologies peers, as well as all engineering teams at Wayfair looking to utilize text-search and fast filtering capabilities
- Build and enhance software to maintain our search infrastructure, with disaster recovery, multi-datacenter support, multi-layer caching, failover capabilities, and a customized deployment process.
- Deliver direct measurable results for our business and customers through improved and personalized Search results.
- Lead design and implementation of medium to large-scale projects and mentor junior engineers to develop the next generation of Wayfair engineering
- Provide high quality code and technical design reviews
- Contribute to the code base, follow and promote the best practices
What you’ll need:
- A graduate of a computer science, mathematics, engineering, physical science related degree program with 5+ years of relevant industry experience, OR have 7+ years of relevant industry experience
- 4+ years of Java experience experience or 5+ years experience in other OOP-based programming languages
- Experience in leading design and implementation of medium to large-scale complex projects
- Experience building high performance, scalable and fault-tolerant Java applications preferred
- Experience with Service-Oriented architecture (REST & GraphQL) and ability to architect scalable microservices
- Experience building big data pipelines using cloud-computing technologies preferred
- Experience with Lucene-based Search engines like Solr or Elasticsearch is a plus
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes or other containerization technologies is a plus
- Ability to maintain a stable application infrastructure with appropriate metrics, logging and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with streaming technologies like Spark, Storm, Kafka, etc are a plus
- Experience in Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing is a plus
- A continuous drive to explore, enhance, automate and optimize distributed systems
- Ability to work creatively and problem solve independently
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
To apply for this job please visit www.wayfair.com.